There are unavoidable costs to financing and refinancing a home. How those costs are paid is determined by the amount of either discount points or lender credit coincide with your rate selection at the time of locking in. Here is a description of the typical charges found on a refinance transaction in Georgia.
Category 1 – Lender Fees
- Origination Fee (0% to 2.5% of loan amount) – a fee charged by the lender or broker to cover their costs and profit for managing the loan through the application, underwriting, and closing process. If there is no charge for origination fee, then the lender will be paying the fee on your behalf. Your cost for not paying the fee at closing is a higher interest rate over the life of your loan.
- Discount Points – additional money paid at closing to buy down the interest rate.
- Processing Fee – an additional charge by the lender to cover certain expenses that are incurred during the processing of a mortgage loan. You can expect between $500 to $1,000 in today’s market.
- Underwriting Fee – Some lenders charge this fee instead of or in addition to a processing fee. The total lender fees should average between $500 to $1,000.
- Doc Prep Fee ($100 – $200) – Fee for the preparation of the mortgage closing documents that will be sent to the closing attorney.
- Other Miscellaneous Fee – There are many other fees that could be charged, but it is rare to see them in today’s market.
- Lender Credit (created by raising the interest rate) – This is the opposite of paying discount points. If you are receiving a lender credit at closing, you are accepting a higher interest rate on your loan in order to do so. A common practice for lenders to make their closing costs look more attractive, this can cause you to pay substantially more for your home over a long term stay.
Category 2 – Services/Property-Related Fees
- Appraisal ($475 – $750 depending on size and location of home) – this inspection that establishes the market value of the property and is required by the lender in most transactions.
Category 3 – Title Charges
- Attorney Fee/Settlement Charge ($450 – $750)- charge for the preparation of some of the closing documents and performing the closing.
- Title Search ($150 – $250) – The attorney/title company will perform a search in the county courthouse to assure there are no liens that will interfere with you and the lender receiving clear title.
- Insured Closing Letter ($35) – Lenders require the preparation of a special letter to be included in the closing documents that explains specific title insurance coverages.
- Lender’s Title Insurance (% of loan amount) – this guarantees the lender of clear title, backed by the force of an insurance policy that will defend the title search done by the attorney in the event of a challenge.
- Miscellaneous Attorney Charges – there are many fees that can be charged depending on the nature of the transaction and specific situations. You will be notified early in the process of any of these fees. Be sure to read your official Loan Estimate carefully.
Category 4 – Statutory Fees (Taxes)
- Intangible Tax on Loan (loan amount X .003) – The State of Georgia has declared a .3% tax on most mortgage loans.
- Georgia Per Loan Fee ($10) – The State of Georgie levied a tax on mortgage loans to help pay for mortgage oversight activities of the department of Banking and Finance.
Foundry Mortgage GUARANTEE:
If you're like most people, you want expert advice and the best deal. That's our mission! If we don't have the best deal when you're ready to lock in your interest rate, we'll transfer all paperwork to your lender of choice at your request. No cost or obligation. Call now to validate the "best advice" part of the agreement - you'll know within 5 minutes that we are qualified to be your expert home loan advisors.
Loan Advisor Mission Statement
"To assist others in making the best home financing decisions, at the lowest cost and interest rates available."
Are you ready to get started?
Expert Home Loan Advisors
117 History Street Tiger, Georgia 30576
NMLS 1737164 Georgia Residential Mortgage Licensee 62261
©2023 Foundry Mortgage Services, Inc